A Special Publication for Logophiles (YOU?) and for Those Who Want a Handy Reference to Latin-Greek Elements Used in English Derivatives
You may order the hard-cover copy of Robertsons Words for a Modern Age, A Cross Reference of Latin and Greek Combining Elements and make payment by money order or bank draft.
Credit cards can not be used for payment.
The price includes $35.00 for the book and $30.00 (U.S.) for a total of $65.00 (U.S.) via Air Mail shipping from Germany. Purchases must be made with a bank draft, cashier's check, or money order. No personal checks, please.
An attempt is being made to keep the above prices despite the lowering in value of the dollar versus the euro; unless there are some radical changes in the rates of exchange.
The book has 255 fully-packed pages and is 8.5 inches (about 22 cm) wide by 11 inches (about 28 cm) high with gold lettering on the cover.
Click on this e-mail form (or send an e-mail to email@example.com) and express your desire for further information about buying the hard copy of Words for a Modern Age. When you express your desire to buy the book, you will then receive the address necessary for completing payment and shipment.
Following are sample entries from Words for a Modern Age. Note that there is an English entry which refers the reader to the Latin and/or Greek reference(s) and another entry showing the Latin or Greek source(s). So all of the Latin and Greek elements and words may be found from either the English sources or from the Latin or Greek sources in alphabetical order throughout the book.
hypno-, hypn- (Gk., sleep) Also see agryp-, coma1, dorm-, narco-, somni-, and sopor- for additional sleep words.
Qualifying words: ahypnia, ahypnosis, anhypnia, anhypnosis, archehypnotic, autohypnosis, autohypnotic, dyshypnia, euhypnia, hyperhypnosis, hypnagogic, hypnagogue, hypnalgia, hypnanalysis, hypnapagogic, hypnesthesia, hypneusia, hypnic, hypnoanalytic, hypnocatharsis, hypnochezia, hypnocinematograph, hypnocyst, hypnodontics, hypnogenesis, hypnogenic, hypnogenous, hypnogogic, hypnoid, hypnoidal, hypnolepsy, hypnologist, hypnology, hypnomogia, hypnonarcoanalysis, hypnonarcosis, hypnopathy, hypnopedia, hypnophobia, hypnophrenosis, hypnopomic, hypnopompic, Hypnos, hypnosis, hypnotherapy, hypnotic, hypnotise, hypnotist, hypnotize, hypnotizer, hypnotoid, hypnotoxin, hypnudism, Hypnus, parahypnosis
- fish See ichthyo- and pisci- for examples.
- ichthyo-, ichthy-, ichth- (Gk., fish)
- Also see pisci- for additional fish words
- Qualifying words: ichthic, ichthin, ichthism, ichthus, ichthyodont, ichthyofauna, ichthyographic, ichthyography, ichthyoid, ichthyolatrous, ichthyolatry, ichthyolite, ichthyologic, ichthyological, ichthyologically, ichthyologist, ichthyology, ichthyomancy, ichthyomantist, ichthyomorphic, ichthyomorphous, ichthyomorphs, ichthyoneuston, ichthyoneustont, ichthyophagia, ichthyophagi, ichthyophagist, ichthyophagous, ichthyophagus, ichthyophagy, ichthyophobia, ichthyoplankton, ichthyopterygia, ichtyornis, ichthyosarcotoxin, ichthyosaur, ichthyosauria, ichthysaurian, ichthyosaurous, ichthyosis, ichthyotoxicology, ichthyotoxin, ichthys, ichthysimus, ichthyosarcotoxism, palaeichthyology, paleichthyology, paleoichthyology
- pisci-, pisc- (Gk., fish) Also see ichthyo- for other fish words.
- Qualifying words: piscan, piscary, piscation, piscatology, piscatorial, piscator, piscatory, pisces (pl.), Pisces, piscicapturist, piscicolous, piscicultural, pisciculture, pisciculturist, piscide, piscifauna, Pisciform, pisciformis, piscina, piscine, piscinity, piscis (s.), Piscis Austrinus, piscivorous, piscivory
Words for a Modern Age also contains extensive appendices which include:
Animal and Bird Categories
Days of the Week
Mancy (Divination) Words
Phobias with Phobia Words Defined
Latin Words, Phrases, and Abbreviations
What others have written about Words for a Modern Age
- Words for a Modern Age is a very important reference for every wordsmith. This book makes researching word elements fun. -Dan Poynter, author, Santa Barbara, California
- Words for a Modern Age is a very valuable guide for the word lover. Writers and scholars will find much enlightenment in the foundations of our language. I could swim in this book for hours! -Carol Wright, book review in NAPRA Trade Journal, Eastsound, Washington
- It was a pleasure to see your elegant book and I wish I had it for my eleventh and twelfth grade students when I was teaching. Unless someone studies Latin and Greek, it is almost impossible to identify these roots and prefixes and their impact on our vocabulary today except when a book like yours is available to clarify these sources. I congratulate you! It is a gem. - Marlette P. Sawyer, Retired English Teacher, New Castle, Delaware
- An informative, highly selective list of Greek and Latin word elements that form the basis of English words. All words and elements (Greek, Latin, and English) are arranged in alphabetical order. Its convenience, pleasing format, and ease of use make it appealing as a ready reference source for most public and academic libraries. -CHOICE, American Library Association, reviewed by J.C. Jurgens, Northeastern Illinois University
Sometimes it can be difficult to comprehend what is in the Latin-Greek Cross References on the Web because to find a section with definitions (when they are available), you must know what to ask the search to look for. With the book, you may conveniently stroll through for areas that are of interest to you and get a more complete presentation on the Web.
For example, in the book there are over 600 phobias listed (without definitions); while on the Internet, you will find those phobias that are in the book (plus additions) WITH definitions.
- Words for a Modern Age may be purchased from the author by using this e-mail form or you may use this e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This ancient Egyptian hieroglyph, a flying scarab, will present a form so you can send comments or you may use email@example.com if you prefer.
Home Page | Content Sources
FREE Vocabulary-Newsletter Subscription
Sample Cross-References | Sample Vocabulary Quiz
Cross References for Paying Subscribers
Iktho Vocabulary Story | Iktho Quizzes
Oxymora Lists | Pleonastic Redundancies
Words for Mod Age Book