Find the word or words that you want to see on this site
or on the Internet.
Miscellaneous Oxymora Quotations
The following are phrases and various quotes which appear to be oxymoronic.
- A little pain never hurt anyone.
- “A unified, neutral Germany? Given that nation’s heritage, such a phrase
may prove to be the oxymoron of the decade.” -Kevin M. Matarese, Fulda, West
Germany; as seen in “Letters”, Time magazine, p. 5, March 5,
- A verbal contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. Include me out.
- Christ was born in 4 B.C.
- Cum tacent, clamant. When they are silent, they shout. -Cicero
- Gentlemen, I want you to know that I am not always right, but I am never wrong.
- Goes (Went) over like a lead balloon.
- Honk if you are against noise pollution!
- I’ll give you a definite maybe. -Samuel Goldwyn
- I’m not going to say, “I told you so.”
- I am a deeply superficial person. -Andy Warhol
- I’m proud of my humility.
- I can resist everything but temptation. -Mark Twain
- If Roosevelt were alive, he’d turn over in his grave. -Samuel Goldwyn
- If I could drop dead right now, I’d be the happiest man alive! -Samuel
- If you fall and break your legs, don’t come running to me. -Samuel Goldwyn
- I never put on a pair of shoes until I’ve worn them five years. -Samuel
- It isn’t an optical illusion. It just looks like one.
- It’s more than magnificent-it’s mediocre. -Samuel Goldwyn
- May I ask a question?
- No one goes to that restaurant anymore-it’s always too crowded. (attributed to
- Our comedies are not to be laughed at. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Parting is such sweet sorrow. -William Shakespeare
- Procrastination means never having to say you’re sorry.
- “Professional certification for car people may sound like an oxymoron.”
-The Wall Street Journal, page B1, Tuesday, July 17, 1990.
- Referring to a book: I read part of it all the way through. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Smoking is the leading cause of statistics.
- Some bachelors want a meaningful overnight relationship.
- Talking about a piece of movie dialogue: Let’s have some new cliches. -Samuel
- The scene is dull. Tell him to put more life into his dying. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Thank God I’m an atheist.
- This report is filled with omissions.
- We are not anticipating any emergencies.
- We’re overpaying him, but he’s worth it. -Samuel Goldwyn
- His honour rooted in dishonour stood,
And faith unfaithful kept him falsely true.
-Alfred Lord Tennyson
- The good oxymoron, to define it by a self-illustration, must be a planned
inadvertency. -Wilson Follett
- An Irishman is never at peace except when he’s fighting.
- I marvel at the strength of human weakness.
- Always be sincere, even when you don’t mean it. -Irene Peter
- Live within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so. -Josh Billings
- Of course I can keep secrets. It’s the people I tell them to that can’t
keep them. -Anthony Haden-Guest
- The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. -W.C. Fields
- I distinctly remember forgetting that. -Clara Barton
- We must believe in free will. We have no choice. -Isaac B. Singer
- I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
- Monotheism is a gift from the gods.
- After they got rid of capital punishment, they had to hang twice as many people as
- I never liked you, and I always will. -Samuel Goldwyn
- Why don’t you pair ‘em up in threes? -Yogi Berra
- Our similarities are different. -Dale Berra, son of Yogi
- After Donald Trump’s stretch limousine was stolen and found undamaged a few
blocks away; he said, “Nothing was stolen. I had an honest
thief.”-International Herald Tribune, page 3, March 2, 1992
- Some bird populations soaring down -Headline of an article in Science
News, page 126, February 20, 1993.
- Most bacteria have the decency to be microscopic. Epulopiscium fishelsoni is
not among them. The newly identified one-celled macro-microorganism is a full .5 mm long,
large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Described in the current
Nature, “It is a million times as massive as a typical
bacterium.”-Time, page 25, March 29, 1993
- “Triumph without Victory, The Unreported History of the Persian Gulf
War”, -Headline published in the U.S. News & World Report,
- An empty cab drove up and Sarah Bernhardt got out. -Arthur Baer, American comic and
- She used to diet on any kind of food she could lay her hands on. -Arthur Baer,
American comic and columnist
- The first condition of immortality is death. -Stanislaw Lec
- As famous as the unknown soldier.
- I must follow the people. Am I not their leader? -Benjamin Disraeli
- Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can never learn
anything from history. -George Bernard Shaw
- William Safire’s rules for writing as seen in the New York Times
Do not put statements in the negative form.
And don’t start sentences with a conjunction.
If you reread your work, you will find on rereading that a great deal of repetition can
be avoided by rereading and editing.
Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
Unqualified superlatives are the worst of all.
If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.
Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.
Never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
Also, avoid awkward or affected alliteration.
Last, but not least, avoid cliche’s like the plague.
- Everyone writes on the walls except me. -Said to be graffiti seen in Pompeii
- I tripped over a hole that was sticking up out of the ground.
- I don’t think anyone should write their autobiography until after they're dead.
- This page intentionally left blank.
- Evil isn’t all bad.
- I disagree with unanimity.
- “It’s a step forward although there was no progress.”
President Hosni Murbarak of Egypt attempting to put the best face on a disappointing
summit meeting between President Clinton and the Syrian dictator Hafez Assad.
- “I always avoid prophesying beforehand because it is much better to prophesy
after the event has already taken place. ” - Winston Churchill
Choose the area that you would like to examine:
| A | B |
C| D | E | F | G | H | I | J-K | L | M | N | O| P | Q-R | S | T | U-Z | Quotations |
Back to Oxymora Introduction. |
You will also find the pleonasm list of